Frequently asked questions
Can’t find the answer you’re looking for? Reach out to our team and we’re happy to answer all your questions.
How much “chemistry” is in ChoViva?
None. Neither artificial flavorings nor flavor enhancers are added to ChoViva. ChoViva is made up of only natural ingredients: oats, sugar and vegetable.
How is ChoViva cocoa produced?
The basic base is oats. ChoViva, like cocoa, is produced in a millennia-old process that is very similar to brewing beer. Unlike beer brewing, however, no alcohol is produced in the process. Instead, fermentation releases the special cocoa flavor from the oats.
ChoViva therefore hardly differs from the traditional production of conventional cocoa.
Does ChoViva take away the livelihood of cocoa farmers?
Our goal with ChoViva is to establish a second pillar alongside cocoa. The cocoa supply chain will therefore be relieved and we hope that in the future cocoa will only be used for higher-value applications that enable fair payment for all parties involved.
We expect that climate change will also affect cocoa farmers. According to researchers, up to 50% of cultivated land in West Africa is currently under threat, which in turn threatens livelihoods regardless of our success. Therefore, we are discussing with various partners (local and international) how we can support farmers.
- Lydia Afriyie-Krafta, Astrid Zabelb, Lawrence Damnyagc: Adaptation strategies of Ghanaian cocoa farmers under a changing climate (2020), URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1389934118304015
- Afriyie-Kraft, L., Zabel, A. and Damnyag, L. Adaptation strategies of Ghanaian cocoa farmers under a changing climate. (2020), URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1389934118304015
- Gateau-Rey, L., Tanner, E.V.J., Rapidel, B., Marelli, J.-P. and Royaert, S. Climate change could threaten cocoa production: Effects of 2015-16 El Niño-related drought on cocoa agroforests in Bahia, Brazil. (2018), URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6039034/
- Keil, A., Zeller, M., Wida, A., Sanim, B. and Birner, R. What determines farmers’ resilience towards ENSO-related drought? An empirical assessment in Central Sulawesi, Indonesia. (2007), URL: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10584-007-9326-4
- Schwendenmann, l., Veldkamp, e., Moser, g., Hölscher, d., Köhler, m., Clough, y., Anas, I., Djajakirana, g., Erasmi, s., Hertel, d., Leitner, d., Leuschner, c., Michalzik, b., Propastin, p., Tjoa, a., Tscharntke, t. and Van Straaten, o. Effects of an experimental drought on the functioning of a cacao agroforestry system, Sulawesi, Indonesia. (2010), URL: https://www.academia.edu/4954558/Effects_of_an_experimental_drought_on_the_functioning_of_a_cacao_agroforestry_system_Sulawesi_Indonesia
- Zuidema, P.A., Leffelaar, P.A., Gerritsma, W., Mommer, L. and Anten, N.P.R. A physiological production model for cocoa (Theobroma cacao): model presentation, validation and application. (2005), URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0308521X04001325?via%3Dihub
Do more oats need to be grown for the production of ChoViva?
No. The oats used are largely a byproduct of current grain production. ChoViva’s natural fermentation process allows it to access this previously inedible byproduct. The production of ChoViva is therefore particularly sustainable!
Will cocoa disappear completely?
We hope not! ChoViva is an alternative to traditional chocolate and is not supposed to replace it.
Did you know: If we experience a 1.5-degree Celsius increase in temperature, 50% of the harvestable area for cocoa will disappear. Dramatically less supply paired with constantly high demand – that sounds pretty not horrific to us. With ChoViva we make sure that enough chocolate will be available for us and future generations.
Does ChoViva have a similarly stimulating effect as chocolate containing cocoa?
No, it does not. But the taste end joy is still at 100%. That’s because it doesn’t contain the mild stimulant Theobromine that’s found in cocoa. Plus, ChoViva contains less sugar than conventional chocolate which also helps decrease the stimulating effect.
How much CO2 does ChoViva save?
With the company Carbon Cloud, we calculated a lifetime value of 1.9 kg CO2 per kg ChoViva. Conventional chocolate is between 10 kg CO2 and 45 kg CO2 (depends on the source).
- Goldman, Elizabeth Dow, et al. “Estimating the Role of Seven Commodities in Agriculture-Linked Deforestation: Oil Palm, Soy, Cattle, Wood Fiber, Cocoa, Coffee, and URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1389934118304015
- Ignace, Kouadio & Singh, Ripudaman. Urban Forest BNP in Abidjan. International Journal for Research in Applied Science and Engineering Technology. (2020), URL: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350604493_Urban_Forest_BNP_in_Abidjan
- Läderach. Predicting the future climatic suitability for cocoa farming of the world’s leading producer countries, Ghana and Côte d’Ivoire; Mongabay: Rainforests in Africa. (2013), URL: https://rainforests.mongabay.com/kids/elementary/africa.html 2022)
- “Major Chocolate Companies Failed in Pledge to End Deforestation, Comprehensive New Study Shows.” Mighty Earth, 14 Feb. 2022, www.mightyearth.org/2022/02/14/major-chocolate-companies-failed-in-pledge-to-end-deforestation-comprehensive-new-study-shows/
- Poore & Nemecek. Reducing food’s environmental impacts through producers and consumers. (2018), URL: https://www.science.org/doi/full/10.1126/science.aaq0216?siteid=sci&keytype=ref&ijkey=ffyeW1F0oSl6k
- Resource Trade.Earth: Cocoa trade, climate change and deforestation. URL: https://resourcetrade.earth/publications/cocoa-trade-climate-change-and-deforestation
- “Suitability | NOAA Climate.gov.” URL: www.climate.gov, www.climate.gov/media/13366
Is ChoViva toxic to dogs like cocoa?
No, ChoViva doesn’t contain theobromine, which is the compound in cocoa that is harmful to dogs.
Can ChoViva be used for baking like cocoa?
Yes, our products are specially tailored for the entire confectionery industry, including snack bars, baking applications, cookies with chocolate chips, and pralines.
Is ChoViva safe for people with allergies?
Yes, ChoViva is free of all main allergens – including soy, dairy, and nuts. As of now, we can not guarantee that it doesn’t contain traces of gluten. But we’re working on it.
Is ChoViva suitable for children and pregnant women?
Yes! ChoViva is made from 100% all natural ingredients and is even safe during pregnancy.
Is Nocoa gluten-free?
The oats we use are gluten-free, but may come in contact with other gluten-containing cereals such as wheat during production and transport. But we are working on a solution for a fully gluten-free supply chain.
Where can I find ChoViva? / Where can I buy ChoViva?
Where do you produce ChoViva?
Right now our ChoViva is produced at our headquarters in Munich.
What is ChoViva made of?
ChoViva is made from just a few simple and natural ingredients. The main ingredient we use is oats, which we ferment and roast – just like cocoa beans. ChoViva also contains sugar and vegetable fats.